In early 2019 BMCAN established the Greater Blue Mountains Creative Arts Leaders Awards (GBM CALA) Committee, with representation from different art forms, to manage the annual GBM CALA. BMCAN provides the Secretariat for the Committee, which has been meeting for the past 7 months on a volunteer basis, leading up to the Awards event. This will be held on 24 October at Mountain Heritage Hotel, who have become its main sponsor. Members of the Committee are:
- Visual Arts—Anthony Bond, former curator and Director Contemporary Art, AGNSW
- Writing—Amy Sambrooke, Creative Director at Varuna the Writers House
- Music—Peter Long, Abbey Music Studios
- Performing Arts & Film—Maggie Davis, theatre director and dramaturge
- Artisans—Julie Ankers, producer of ArtHouse and President of Radio Blue Mountains.
The Committee has appointed Fran Cane as the Awards event consultant and secured the services of six leading individuals in their art form to act as an independent Selection Panel for the awards from the 45 nominations across the different arts forms and organisations. The Committee has also secured sponsorship for a $1000 grant to each of the individual awards. In addition there will be an award for the outstanding community creative arts organisation in the Greater Blue Mountains.
by Barbara Lepani, BMCAN Director